In the heart of the city of Liège, the baths and thermal baths of Sauvenière are in a vast building of 6 floors. Work of the Liège architect Georges Dedoyard, the whole is built between 1938 and 1942 to accommodate a sports complex, and especially an indoor pool the pool is in private hands since the war.
The large pool hall, surprisingly located on the 3rd floor, is huge with its 80m long. Beautifully illuminated by the translucent concrete vault made by the Crystalworks of Val Saint-Lambert , it includes the pool of non-swimmers (25 mx 15 m) and the large pool, then of size in the Olympic era (33 m 14 m) , surrounded by grandstands with heated seats for up to 1,250 spectators.
The pool closed in 2000 for complains with safety standards, and the building is, little by little, partially abandoned, only a few facilities still work.
After much hesitation about a possible reopening, the place got more and more in decay
The place is huge, cold, faded colors. The facilities are dated but in good condition: saunas, public baths, light baths (light therapy).
in the cellars there is an old antiaircraft shelter for 400 people used by the Germans during the Second World War.
Threatened with demolition, this symbol of Liège was finally saved by its classification as a historical monument in 2004.
More recently, the association the MNEMA has managed to promote its restoration project baths Sauvenière to accommodate the project of the ” mirror city “, museum of citizenship, by 2010.
For a little over a year, the site has had a facelift and now houses the Cité Miroir, the Territories of Memory, associations, a bookstore, a brewery (“O mirror”) … the large pool, dug , has been transformed into a beautiful theater. It is very well installed, the sound is excellent. Above this room, a large exhibition hall in the large basin hall. There are also exhibitions in the small pool (well, ex small pool). On the other hand, Liège is sorely lacking public pools.