This big prison was built in 1779. For 40 years criminals, prostitutes and other convicted or suspected people were held in this facility. In 1820 the army continued its use as a military prison, but was transformed to a hospital not much later.
Before the buildings were sold the army used it as a military school. But in 1974 they left the site. The buildings became abandoned until the city started to use it.
In 2000 the city started to redevelop the site for new uses.