Le chai à vin or also known as Amy’s Winehouse opened the 15th of December 1950 by the President of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry who was also the sponsor of the project. It was developed by the architect Pierre Maurice Lefebre.
This wine house was made to stock wine coming from Algeria. They were at that time the largest (capacity of 100,000 hl) and the most innovative wineries in Europe. They were build up with more than 250 tanks and 42 km’s of pipelines.
The wine activity carried on the beginning of the 70’s. Afterwards the building became a customs office and was abandoned in 1991. The 16 km’s copper pipelines were immediately stolen and the place got vandalized.
The place is still fantastic from the inside contrary to the classic outside. The place is a mix between a jail and compartments of a steamer.
some more history pictures….
(Visited 87 times, 1 visits today)