In 1990 there were talks between the three Belgian suppliers, from which a large merger between Ebes, Intercom and Unerg arose. Electrabel was born. While Intercom and Ebes were fully integrated into the new company, Unerg maintained a few more plants in its own name. It later changed its name to Powerfin, in order to continue expanding its activities abroad.
After changes in the agreements on public relations, the management of Electrabel decided in 2000 to close the Museum Energeia. In 2001, no less than 180 running meters (or 3584 records) were moved to archives to ensure safe storage.
But the end of the electricity production in Langerbrugge, apparently got a painful outcome when in 2012 the demolition of the plant started. The older buildings were completely destroyed, including all installations and the more modern buildings are currently being dismantled. Nothing of its historical value was retained. Despite the fact that a large part of the archive in the Energeia museum had already been moved to another location, a whole bunch of paperwork and machines remained behind. Unfortunately, (copper) thieves already got their chance to strike their battle, so that all exhibited machines, including a 1912 compound steam engine that was previously in perfect condition, had been destroyed on their search for copper and other useful materials. The Brown Boveri turbines were completely disassembled and copper was removed. Measuring equipment and control panels were stolen. Almost all museum pieces, including a whole section classified as monument – transformers, control switches, alternators – have been completely destroyed. The remaining documents from the former Ebes archive from 1900-1960 were destroyed.
(Visited 57 times, 1 visits today)